Saturday, October 12, 2013

REVISITING THE LA CAVENIA IN GEORGETOWN, LA

(It was once a convenience for the RR passengers)

My old painting buddy, Stanley Pollard (and his wife Aleise and their daughter, Sharon, actually lived there and they rented the store part rather than operate it themselves.  Stanley hated steady work.

Stanley was a "many parts" type of citizen; he knew a lot of things, being widely read.  He could do almost anything.

When the community needed a water system; he was chosen to put it in and operate if for a small sum.  Aleise (Aleeese) was the town Postmistress.

I painted the place from the viewpoint of the highway overpass bridge that was the western entrance to the town.  The painting sold almost at once to a former citizen living in Baton Rouge.  Luckily I photographed it before it went.

I'd always regretted that I hadn't put in more of the local flavor of the place.  This repaint does that and I made the La Cavenia classier, which I enjoy more.
I probably will not agree to sell this one. I've missed the original one a lot.

 detail from "La Cavenia Revisited"

Elbert 10/12/13

No comments: